What are the advantages and disadvantages of batik?
Batik sutera is one of Indonesian’s traditional clothes which is made by dipping the cloth which is covered with wax, so the colors would not be mixed. Batik is famous because it has a lot of different designs and Batik is usually identical with Indonesian because only Indonesian people who have those batik making process.
Advantages as well as strengths
• Batik is the art heritage of our ancestors. The art of batik has high artistic value, a fusion of art and technology, it is well known allured people to wear it in order to be fashionable and preserve Indonesian culture on the other hand
• Batik is not just seeing the results, but also the unique manufacturing and creating process. That is how makes batik is recognized by the world as a reflection of Indonesian culture.
• Have a strong potential as an art and culture as well as history which is highly possible to increase the market and the customer interest. Especially foreigners
• Can empowered group of the craftsmen and open job vacancies for local people in order to increase quality production of batik
• The help of the government and another formal institution by their program to increase demand for batik usage which is impact on increasing sales of batik itself
• Excel in competition Indicate good quality of the group and good production result
• The existence of the connection that exists increase sales expansion and open the possibilities of batik to expand into the wider scope of the market.
Disadvantages as well as weaknesses
• Lack of promotion and local government policy to introduce batik cause less known batik of peoples
• Cheaper illegal batik textile from China flooded batik markets in Indonesia. According to Javanese batik entrepreneurs, China has already made Asia as their market. China bought all cotton on the market. Why they did that because China wanted to immobilize Javanese batik entrepreneurs. China knows that cotton is a vital part of batik production. Practically, China dominates most economic lines, or maybe all economic lines in Indonesia. Actually, Chinese products are bad quality; China hasn’t got good qualities for their products, but mostly Chinese products are cheap. Because Chinese products are cheap, Chinese products are sold out. Indonesian peoples especially those with medium to low economical condition who prefer Chinese products to Indonesian products.
• Since Chinese and other competitor try to dominate our material in order to prevent Indonesian producer make good quality of Batik
• Many Indonesian merchants or reseller prefer Chinese products than Indonesian products. According to the condition that Chinese products are more profitable than Indonesian products since Indonesian people love to buy the Chinese product because it’s cheap
• Lack of capacity for promotion, marketing communication strategy is still a partial; most of the craftsmen still rely on conventional methods to promote products that are produced as by word of mouth approach
• Lack of professional manpower which is caused Difficulties in improving product, because the entire product is still the same from the old era, and no new innovation to equal the modern era
All of those are sustainable change depend on what kind of strategy that the founder do as the best decision for their business in order to get the best result for themselves and for all the environment. To find out more about our baju kurung kedah click here.